[systemd-devel] build failures in latest master from d848b9cbfa0ba72381363accce481600169df2eb

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Thu Jan 31 16:21:27 PST 2013

On Thu, 2013-01-31 at 13:09 -0500, Dave Reisner wrote:

> http://pkgbuild.com/~dreisner/build.log

So I distilled a few relevant linker lines to compare, but basically the
only difference is -O0 vs -O2, and the gnome-ostree linker lines have
-L/usr/lib before -lgpg-error -ldl -lrt.  Nothing that should matter.

So after your build, can you run this:

readelf -a .libs/libsystemd-journal.so  | grep NEED

Does it show a DT_NEEDED on libsystemd-daemon.so ?   So I just checked
on Fedora 18, and I do indeed see it.  But I don't in gnome-ostree.
This could very well be something going wrong with --as-needed in the
toolchain.

Note that systemd is doing a very weird thing - the dynamic
libsystemd-journal.so links to the noinst libtool library
libsystemd-shared.la which in turn depends on the dynamic
libsystemd-daemon.so.

It's quite possible my libtool version isn't understanding how to
propagate this...I'll debug this a bit more.

You know though, honestly systemd is generating so many executables and
libraries that at this point it'd probably be sane to make
libsystemd-shared...well, shared.

Using -Wl,--gc-sections helps a lot, but still.  We could just put it in
a private path like /usr/lib/systemd/libsystemd-shared.so.

[a few minutes pass] Something like the attached patch.  But doing it
against master I'm still running into apparent build race conditions
where 'make' works, but 'make -j 8' falls over.