[systemd-devel] Help getting serial console working again after upgrade to systemd?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jul 11 15:57:08 PDT 2013

On Wed, 10.07.13 11:26, Dmt Ops (opsdmt at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I'm starting upgrades to old production servers to newer 64-bit Linux that
> runs systemd >= v195.
>
> Serial consoles are always my 1st step.  Before upgrade it worked great.
>
> After upgrade, with the new systemd-based config, I'm not having much luck
> so far.

Note that systemd will actually automatically spawn a serial getty on
the serial port kernel logging is directed to. Normally you should not
need to do anything.

> I configured the grub conf:
>
> serial --unit=0 --speed=57600 --word=8 --parity=no --stop=1
> terminal --timeout=3 serial console
> title PRODUCTION
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sd1a noresume showopts x11failsafe vga=0x31a
> console=tty0 console=com1,vga
                       ^^^^^^^^

That doesn't look right.

> With that setup I get nothing out the serial port.  I probably have the
> grub cmd line wrong for using with systemd.  I could use some help getting
> this untangled.

Maybe the baud rate isn't right? Note that serial-getty at .service will
try to reuse whatever was initialized by the kernel, hence make sure to
configure the right parameters on the kernel console and you should be
fine.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.