[systemd-devel] journal and /run/systemd/journal/syslog

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jul 11 16:08:04 PDT 2013

On Wed, 10.07.13 12:30, Umut Tezduyar (umut at tezduyar.com) wrote:

> > We though about just bumping this globally via sysctl, but we feared
> > that might not sit well with some folks, as we shouldn't change a global
> > setting just because one user of it would benefit, especially given that
> > we don't know the effect this might have on others...
>
> I want to go this route and I think it is not possible at the moment
> due to undetermined start order between syslog.socket and
> systemd-sysctl.service. Can we change that?

Hmm, are you saying that changing the sysctl value too late will have no
effect on the sockets that already exist at that time?

You could do this on your system:

# mkdir /etc/systemd/system/syslog.socket.d/
# echo "[Unit]
After=systemd-sysctl.service" > /etc/systemd/system/syslog.socket.d/after-sysctl.conf

Then, make the sysctl setting, and things should work?

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.