[systemd-devel] kmod-static-nodes.service doesn't care about udev?

Oleksii Shevchuk alxchk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 23:28:12 PDT 2013

Latest innovation with kmod-static-nodes.service introduce next issues with

1. default distro paths
2. interacting with rest configuration

So, what is the problem.

kmod-static-nodes.service.in:

ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/mkdir -p /run/tmpfiles.d

> /usr/bin/mkdir
zsh: no such file or directory: /usr/bin/mkdir

That is not that big deal, because that should be replaced with tmpfiles.d
conf file with lowest prioirty, but shows some kind of problem -
different distros has utilites in different places. That is not the
problem, because we have pathname resolution IEEE standard and core system
rely on it. But not the systemd. Ok, maybe that makes some sence for
ExecStart services, but do we really need that in
ExecStartPre/ExecStartPost? Maybe some syntax shugar should be
introduced like ExecStartPre=* <- run with /bin/sh?

The next one - kmod doesn't care about udev rules. So, I have something
like this in udev rules:
KERNEL=="fuse", MODE="0666"

and in autogenerated with kmod:
c /dev/fuse 0600 - - - 10:229

The last one has priority. So, either kmod-static-nodes.service should
be started before udev, or some new logic should be introduces somewhere
to prevent that destructive behavior.