[systemd-devel] kmod-static-nodes.service doesn't care about udev?

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Jul 12 11:55:30 PDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 8:42 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 12.07.13 20:37, Tom Gundersen (teg at jklm.no) wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 7:57 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
>> <zbyszek at in.waw.pl> wrote:
>> > I see another problem: in a container, this unit fails with:
>> > # /usr/bin/kmod static-nodes --format=tmpfiles --output=/run/tmpfiles.d/kmod.conf
>> > Error: could not open /lib/modules/3.9.6-301.fc19.x86_64/modules.devname - No such file or directory
>> > There was no requirement to have the kernel installation available before,
>> > and it'd be stupid to add it just for that.
>>
>> Except for the failed unit, this doesn't cause any other problems,
>> right? It used to be that the missing modules.devname file would be
>> silently ignored. I guess we could go back to doing that.
>
> Maybe add a condition check for it?
>
> Might be hard with the with kernel version in the path, but we could add
> a %v or so for this which resolves to the output of "uname -r". Which
> could be really useful anyway, wherever things are done with kernels,
> initrds, modules?

I agree that %v sounds useful in general. I'm not sure I like it for
this purpose though, as ideally modules.devname (and the location of
/lib/modules for that matter) should eventually become entirely
internal to kmod.

I'll post a patch to the kmod ML to gather some feedback on just
turning kmod static-nodes into a noop when no kernel is found.

-t