[systemd-devel] Unbuffered stderr for my systemd service?

Vivek Goyal vgoyal at redhat.com
Mon Jul 15 13:54:33 PDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 10:47:23PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Mon, 15.07.13 10:32, Vivek Goyal (vgoyal at redhat.com) wrote:
>
> > CCing Lennart.
> >
> > This is important functionality for us. makeudmpfile utility (utility which
> > filters kernel crash dump and shows the progress bar), run in kdump
> > kernel. For large machines it displays the progress bar in kernel. Right
> > now all the code runs from initramfs in the context of a service and
> > we don't get progress messages. Just we get a 100% message at the end.
> >
> > Right now we bypassed journal by sending everything to /dev/console but
> > it is a generic question that any serivce displaying some kind of
> > progress bar, how is it handled with current journal mechanism.
>
> if you want to do fancier output then do facnier ouput directly on the
> console, but do not pumpt this through a log system, that's really not
> what it is for...

That's fine. But that means services have to change now. In the
past stdout/stderr was not logged by default. So fancy outputs could
go to stdout/stderr without any issues. Now stdout/stderr is being
logged.

Well, for my use case change is easy and we have already done it.
So we will stick to it.

Thanks
Vivek