[systemd-devel] runtime directories for services vs. tmpfiles

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 14:17:37 PDT 2013

And to follow up on that:

2013/7/16 Michael Biebl <mbiebl at gmail.com>:
> I think it's even less of an issue for Debian, as we usually only
> install stuff when needed and not in a disabled state.

So the unused directories in /run are something I don't expect to be
an issue for Debian.

As for tmpfiles support:
In Debian we already have pretty nice support and debhelper
(dh_installinit) scans the installed files and creates postinst
snippet like

if [ -d /run/systemd/system ] ; then
       systemd-tmpfiles --create /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/xconsole.conf
>/dev/null || true
fi

which is run before the daemon is started.

So, also not an issue for Debian.

That leaves the only point: the configuration is split between two
files. Tbh, I'm not too thrilled duplicating part of the tmpfiles
functionality in .service files itself.
What we could do though, similar to Documentation, reference a tmpfile
which belongs to the service.
So when you run systemctl status foo.service, it would show the
corresponding file.

This would it more discoverable for the admin and he'd see which file to modify.

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?