[systemd-devel] start/stop messages when activating a target?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jul 16 18:46:34 PDT 2013

On Wed, 12.06.13 01:32, Michael Olbrich (m.olbrich at pengutronix.de) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When booting or during shutdown systemd prints the start stop messages for
> the services. Is it possible to get those messages when activating a target
> with systemctl?

The boot-time output is done by PID 1 itself and directly to the system
console, and we turn it off as soon as the machine is up (and as long as
it stays up) in order to not interfere with any output of whatevr is
running on the console after bootup.

Now, I figoure what you actually want is some output of systemctl
(i.e. not PID1) and directly to the tty that you ran it from?

We could certainly add that, and it has been requested before. It's a
change with implications however, given that people who are already
using things now in scripts expect that no output is generated and might
be annyoed if it now is.

That said, I am not against changing systemctl to actually inform the
user what is going on even if the operation it executed was
successful. The least to make sure though would be that the output is
suppressed if --quiet is used.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.