[systemd-devel] runtime directories for services vs. tmpfiles

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Tue Jul 16 23:18:45 PDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 07:41:08PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 07/16/2013 07:34 PM, Kay Sievers wrote:
> >On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 9:28 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
> ><johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:

> >>What exactly are we trying to solve here which should not be fixed upstream
> >>in the daemons themselves?
> >Stuff that uses User= cannot be fixed in the daemon itself, at the
> >time it runs, systemd itself has already taken away the privileges to
> >create these directories.
>
> We increase unit complexity with each option we add so I would
> suggest unless it's absolutely necessary to just stick with just
> tmpfiles to handle this.

  I second Jóhann.  As a packager, I never had problems with separate
configuration of runtime dir. Additionally, runtime dirs hardly need
customizations by admin.  It's not worth exposing them in unit file.

--
Tomasz Torcz                 Morality must always be based on practicality.
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl                -- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen