[systemd-devel] removal of RD_TIMESTAMP support in initrd

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Mon Jul 22 16:16:12 PDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 12:44 AM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> I do understand that you are currently not running systemd in the initrd
> [1], so for you for now this is indeed a loss of functionality. I am
> sorry for that, but please understand this as gentle push to maybe use
> systemd in the initrd, or even better maybe just adopt dracut?

For the record, I too think it is a shame this functionality is lost,
but for a different reason: having the possibility to (easily) get
performance data to compare systemd (in the initramfs) and non-systemd
(in the initramfs) boots is the best way to push for the adoption of
systemd in the initramfs (which I think is the future).

> [1] I remember Arch's Tom Gunderson working with Harald on improving the
> mounting logic in darcut/systemd quite a bit at the last
> hackfest. Because of Arch we now have much nicer mount code in
> Dracut/systemd. It would be a pitty if that'd be lost to Arch itself,
> where this came from...

Mea culpa, I need to follow up on this, clean up the script for adding
systemd to our initramfs and start shipping it in our package...