[systemd-devel] [Feature request] A way to native import /proc/cmdline within unit

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Jul 25 15:35:03 PDT 2013

> On Sat, 20.07.13 16:37, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi (vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar) wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I am maintainer of Archiso project (The Arch Linux live ISO creator).
>>
>> I like a feature for systemd within unit files, mainly for importing
>> /proc/cmdline in initramfs stage, or in a generic form for any other
>> file with a similar format. Something like ImportOneLineFile=, like
>> current EnvironmentFile=.
>>
>> In this way, we can use/pass parameters to Exec*= directives if needed.
>
> So you awant to import kernel cmdline arguments into your environment?

Yes, in a particular unit.

> Note that you can do that already with the systemd.setenv= kernel
> command line option. What else do you need?

Yes. But doing in this way:

* Makes each variable passed, global to all units.
* For each parameter that I need to process I need to prefix them.

So for example
archisobasedir=arch archisolabel=ARCH_201307 checksum=y
becomes:
systemd.setenv=archisobasedir=arch
systemd.setenv=archisolabel=ARCH_201307 systemd.setenv=checksum=y

And if booting via PXE, think about automatic cmdline appended by
"ip=..." PXELINUX/IPAPPEND...

The other solution that I have is using a service+script for
parsing/dumping cmdline in a file, then import with EnvironmentFile= but
does not look good. Other way maybe is using a generator, but they run
too early and I need to wait for some things happens before generating
units in a dynamic way.

> Lennart

Thanks for your attention.

--