[systemd-devel] systemd --user broken

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Sat Jul 27 09:33:11 PDT 2013

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM, Oleksii Shevchuk <alxchk at gmail.com> wrote:

>> It all needs still some work how things should work in the end
>
> Unfortunately, with shared session daemon

It is, and always was, designed as a --user daemon, just like the name
suggests, not as a session daemon. With the upcoming kdbus work,
systemd --user will be the creator and owner of the user's bus, and
there can and should only be one per user and no per session.

> there is no way to have
> display session managed by systemd

Apps/services are per user, right, not per session. The session runs
in the session cgroup, it is kind of managed by PID1 now. There are
just pieces missing, it's not a "no way" thing.

> too many problems should be
> solved.

No doubt, there is a lot of stuff open to solve and which needs quite some work.

> Mainly with attaching services to active seat/session (for
> polkit), environment propagation and so on..

Right, it's nothing that works out of the box today, but we will get there.

Kay