[systemd-devel] systemd --user broken

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Sat Jul 27 10:51:27 PDT 2013

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 7:30 PM, Oleksii Shevchuk <alxchk at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It is, and always was, designed as a --user daemon, just like the name
>> suggests, not as a session daemon. With the upcoming kdbus work,
>> systemd --user will be the creator and owner of the user's bus, and
>> there can and should only be one per user and no per session.
>
> I understand this. But.. That's sad, when really good user expierence
> throwed away. Have no idea what to do with per-user daemon, that is
> unattached to any session.

It might currently work better, because things have worked that way in
the past and are therefore more easily to be used without
modifications. But that doesn't mean that we want to model after that
or that is the best way to do it.

At this moment in time, it should be reasonable straight-forward to
get the current setup work like it did before the slice stuff.

>> Apps/services are per user, right, not per session.
>
> Currently most apps are per-session, or at least heavily linked with
> it (connected to keychain manager, i/o console etc)

Keychains probably belong into the kernel keychain, and not in
userspac at alle, not in a session and not in the user daemon's
context.

For most other things: there are actually very few things that should
use the environment as a data store and to pass around
config/policy/runtime information; it's just a too broken and static
model that should no be used in this century.

>> Right, it's nothing that works out of the box today, but we will get
>> there.
>
> Is there any place where I can get info about expected end point of that
> process?

No, it's just ideas that happened between talking about it, only at
the moment we actually implement it, we will find out.

Kay