[systemd-devel] Using busybox-udhcpc

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jul 30 16:16:38 PDT 2013

I have a Yocto-based embedded system (poky-dylan on a Cedartrail Atom),
which has been modified to use systemd. I've also added Samba 3.6.8 from
OpenEmbedded. The system has available busybox-udhcpc for a DHCP client, but
nothing is starting it. If I start it manually, then Samba works fine.

I suppose I could create a simple systemd unit that starts udhcpc with the
ethernet port's name, but I'd also like to support an external WiFi dongle.
I've googled and googled, but I can't find out the "right" way to start
udhcpc, so that it is invoked whenever some new device is detected. Can
anyone point me to an example, or some document on the web that explains how
this is normally done?

I also have a Gumstix system with a Yocto-based distro, and it somehow
starts up its DHCP client, but I can't figure out how. It uses dhclient,
instead of busybox-udhcpc, but if I knew how dhclient is invoked by the
networking system, perhaps that would apply to busybox-udhcpc as well.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. It's the last thing I need to fix
(famous last words) before I have fully functioning networking.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:pderocco at ix.netcom.com