[systemd-devel] Systemd debugging option, documentation clarification

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jun 6 01:03:29 PDT 2013

On Wed, 15.05.13 22:28, John Connor (jaconnor44 at gmail.com) wrote:

> 1: It would be useful for debugging if systemctl had an option to show
> output on the screen (especially output from scripts run under
> systemd), rather than dumping it in a journal which you then have to
> search through.  This should be a command-line option, because you
> would normally use it only for debugging, not for a normal boot. I
> don't know how practicable this would be, but it would be useful.

This is actually harder than it sounds, since notification when a job
finished is asynchronous to the stream of logs, and I have no ideas how
we could ever fix that.

> 2 :  the man page for systemd-journalctl  (at least on Open SUSE 12.2)
> mentions that you can filter journal contents using FIELD=value, but
> (except for one example) it
> doesn't indicate what the field identifiers are or where they are
> defined.  It would
> make the journal a lot more usable if it was clear where to find this
> information.

There's command line completion for these fields. Just press TAB
twice. Also, see systemd.journal-fields(7).

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.