[systemd-devel] build problems without largefile support

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jun 6 01:10:00 PDT 2013

On Thu, 16.05.13 08:49, Michael Olbrich (m.olbrich at pengutronix.de) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to compile systemd with "--disable-largefile" and I got this:
> [...]
> src/shared/util.c: In function 'parse_bytes':
> src/shared/util.c:2270:17: error: overflow in implicit constant conversion [-Werror=overflow]
> src/shared/util.c:2271:17: error: overflow in implicit constant conversion [-Werror=overflow]
> src/shared/util.c:2272:17: error: overflow in implicit constant conversion [-Werror=overflow]
> src/shared/util.c: In function 'format_bytes':
> src/shared/util.c:4854:17: error: overflow in implicit constant conversion [-Werror=overflow]
> src/shared/util.c:4855:17: error: overflow in implicit constant conversion [-Werror=overflow]
> src/shared/util.c:4856:17: error: overflow in implicit constant conversion [-Werror=overflow]
> [...]
>
> The constants for T/P/E don't fit in a 23bit off_t. That's why largefile
> was introduced in the first place.
> I'm not sure how to fix this. Maybe just use 'ifdef' and not support those
> formats?

Humm, so is --disable-largefile really something we want to support? I
mean, this just sounds like a major source of headaches. We are in 2013
nowadays, I am pretty sure you cannot build any of the Linux kernel file
systems with support for 32bit or less file sizes.

I'd be happy to take a patch which causes configure to fail if
--disable-largefile is passed...

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.