[systemd-devel] Modifying kernel vars through sysctl.d

Belal, Awais Awais_Belal at mentor.com
Thu Jun 20 05:24:06 PDT 2013

Hi,

I am trying to update a kernel variable on boot. So, after reading a bit here and there I found out that I could simply provide a .conf file under /etc/sysctl.d/ and have my required configs in it. I placed a file ipv6.conf under the mentioned directory with the contents:

net.ipv6.conf.eth0.disable_ipv6=0

so I could enable ipv6 on my eth0 interface on boot. Oddly enough this isn't working as I expected and doing a 'cat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/eth0/disable_ipv6' still gives me '1'. I checked the status of the systemd-sysctl.service and it shows up as 'active (exited)'. If I do a 'systemctl restart systemd-sysctl.service' after boot the configuration gets through as needed.

What am I doing wrong? Are there any better ways of achieving the same?

Any help here would be highly appreciated.

BR,
Awais