[systemd-devel] Text input on startup (tty-force) disabling after a few seconds

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jun 20 12:05:01 PDT 2013

On Wed, 19.06.13 14:52, Natanji (natanji at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I'm somewhat new to systemd and have a problem. I would like to run a
> custom script with systemd on startup that will ask me for a password
> and mount a Truecrypt volume with it. The script and unit file I wrote
> can be found below.
>
> Now, this setup does work *somewhat* - basically it will ask me for my
> Truecrypt password on startup and do the mounting as it should. But when
> I wait a few seconds during startup, entering the password no longer
> works. I just have a few seconds after the password prompt appearing to
> enter it; if I wait 5-10 seconds nothing will happen anymore.
>
> That seems like weird and unintended behaviour to me. Is this a bug, or
> can you point me in the right direction about what I'm doing wrong if I
> want some sort of keyboard interaction during system startup with
> systemd? I mean, that is a useful and sometimes needed feature, right?

As others already mentioned using systemd-ask-password is probably the
better approach. That said, my guess is that something else also wants
to take possession of the tty. Have you tried to boot with
systemd.log_level=debug systemd.log_level=kmsg to see what else tries to
run when your input is taken away?

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.