[systemd-devel] Broken build and CI strategy

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Jun 28 06:14:18 PDT 2013

On Fri, 28.06.13 10:06, Holger Hans Peter Freyther (holger at freyther.de) wrote:

> Well, that is one part. "make test" really just checks if the test/
> directory exists, it doesn't really contribute to the quality control.
>
> The other thing with "make check" is that it is failing if the build
> system doesn't run systemd[1] or fails if the installed version is not
> new enough (debian still ships systemd 44 that doesn't have catalogs
> so the catalog test fails).

Happy to see this fixed. THis is not the usual setup we build things
on. We are all Fedora-based.

> > > Could you please elaborate on standard vs. non-standard/broken setups.
> > > travis is building on a clean VM and installing most of the packages
> > > specified in the README file.
>
> systemd currently does not link on default Debian/Ubuntu systems.
> Could you please elaborate how this is a non-standard/broken setup?

Well, the systemd core developers are all on Fedora, and Ubuntu doesn't
even use systemd, so it's a bit of an exotic choice. I mean, I am not
saying that it is an excuse for elaving this broken, I am just trying to
point out why we didn't notice this.

> I can make it link by installing binutils-gold, if systemd now
> requires gold, could you please update the configure.ac and README
> to reflect this?

We use the normal Fedora linker, which I think is normal ld, not
gold. We should certainly be able to make this work for any
linker. Patch appreciated, as we do not run these systems ourselves.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.