[systemd-devel] RFC: user session lifetimes vs. $DISPLAY

Lennart Poettering mztabzr at 0pointer.de
Tue Mar 5 12:11:28 PST 2013

On Tue, 05.03.13 22:05, Mantas Mikulėnas (grawity at gmail.com) wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 9:48 PM, Lennart Poettering <mztabzr at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> > On Mon, 18.02.13 11:08, Kok, Auke-jan H (auke-jan.h.kok at intel.com) wrote:
> >> For each login, you'd have an instance service (e.g.
> >> gnome-session@:0.service) to serve that display.
> >
> > Well, I am not convinced it is necessary to instantiate
> > everything. People can do that if they really really want to make things
> > work to allow one local user to run multiple sessions, but I am pretty
> > sure that should be out of scope for GNOME. GNOME components should just
> > be normal services that are started on the user bus and which find their
> > display from XDG_RUNTIME_DIR.
>
> Hmm, could one set XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/$UID/second-session and
> have multiple sessions that way?

No. Please don't. XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is a per-user directory and it's
documented in the specs.

I mean, people can do whatever they want, but we should be really
careful with recommending any hacks like this. From the GNOME
perspective I am pretty sure multiple-sessions-per-local-user is out of
scope.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.