[systemd-devel] Python wrappers for the DBus API

Holger Winkelmann hw at travelping.com
Tue Mar 5 13:46:02 PST 2013

On Mar 5, 2013, at 10:21 PM, Mirco Tischler <mt-ml at gmx.de> wrote:

> 2013/3/5 Holger Winkelmann <hw at travelping.com>
> Hi David,
>
> On Mar 5, 2013, at 9:52 PM, David Strauss <david at davidstrauss.net> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 11:16 PM, Holger Winkelmann <hw at travelping.com> wrote:
> >> Or is there a special journal socket to write to?
> >
> > Yes, and the Python module's use of the C library wraps all of that.
> >
> > Auke is also correct that you can write to stderr/stdout from a
> > service running in systemd. That does not support structured logging,
> > though.
>
> Thats what I expected anyway, so for our logging purposes I would like to have structured
> logging…
>
> So thanks for the Info, I'll wait for the Documentation of the raw format (or we check the C
> implementation) for the time being we use the C-Lib.
>

> > --
> > David Strauss
> >   | david at davidstrauss.net
> >   | +1 512 577 5827 [mobile]
>
> --
> Holger Winkelmann
> Managing Director
>
> Out of curiosity, what are your reasons to avoid the C library? And I personally don't ever expect the raw format to be documented - I see it as an implementation detail, not part of any kind of API

Depends how you see an API, We have a messaging passing background (we are Erlang programmer here) and for us the message over the socket is seen as the API. and the C-lib wraps this for the C Language.

To use the C-API we need to write a NIF function for Erlang where the c part needs to be cross compiled for all different architectures. Writing the format native to the socket will avoid this.

Another example: Just recently we had a project partner being in Java-Land was not allowed by management to use any Native Library.

Holger

--
Holger Winkelmann