[systemd-devel] syslog CEE support for the journal

David Strauss david at davidstrauss.net
Tue Mar 5 17:25:28 PST 2013

Has CEE seen any widespread deployment? It would be straightforward to
add the following to the journal:

 * Optional conversion of non-binary fields to CEE for forwarding to syslog
 * Conversion of CEE to journal fields within the systemd syslog server
 * Conversion of CEE to journal fields when a service logs messages
with syslog-style priority line prefixes

I proposed something similar to the third during the journal hackfest
in San Francisco, but my initial work looked for JSON. It would be
cleaner to support CEE and extend our existing support for
stdout/stderr being syslog-formatted when detected as such.

I'm bringing this up because of some remarks [1] I posted on systemd's
journal versus syslog.

[1] https://plus.google.com/116504510413299636245/posts/V4X3AfcRyMe

--
David Strauss