[systemd-devel] allow a group to set datetime with timedatectrl

Andreas Müller schnitzeltony at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 12 02:52:13 PDT 2013

Hi,

I know it is more a dbus-issue and an experts-LOL but maybe somebody
can help me here: I would like to have a group which is permitted to
set datetime with timedatectrl. What I did:

As root
1. groupadd -r datetime
2. usermod -a -G datetime operator
4. In '/etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.freedesktop.timedate1.conf' I added in
the <busconfig> section:

        <policy group="datetime">
                <allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.timedate1"
send_interface="org.freedesktop.timedate1" send_member="SetTime"/>
        </policy>

As operator I get:
> timedatectl set-time "2013-03-12 09:50"
Failed to issue method call: Access denied

I tried several modifications and googled my fingers bloody but could
not find something helpful. Can anybody help me here?

Andreas