[systemd-devel] systemd-fsck-root.service without initrd prints ugly message on clean fsck

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Mar 13 03:29:56 PDT 2013

Hi,

As I'm doing some initrd-less experiments of late I'm seeing an ugly
fsck message pop up on boot.

In systemd-fsck-root.service I see:

StandardOutput=journal+console

which results in:

systemd-fsck[116]: /dev/sda2: clean, 435608/1310720 files,
3375994/5242112 blocks

being output over the top of plymouth screen (and actually persists over
the initial gdm screen when it fades in).

While I do get the point of showing this on the console, is there a way
we can make it silent in the "clean" case?

Would this be something we'd need push down to all the fsck
implementations (i.e. support a -q argument or look for "silent" on
/proc/cmdline) or can we add some kind of fugly heuristic to the
systemd-fsck that silently swallows the output if it consists of a
single line which has the string ": clean," and there is "silent" on the
command line?

Cheers

Col

--