[systemd-devel] devpts inside Linux Container

John Lane systemd at jelmail.com
Wed Mar 13 03:38:42 PDT 2013

Good morning, I am trying to get LXC guests working with systemd. I am
at the point where I can start a container but it is affecting the host.
I've been discussing over on lxc-users and it's been suggested that
systemd may be incorrectly mounting devpts without the "newinstance"
option. I understand that the devpts mounts should have a "newinstance"
option on them to avoid the guest mounting the host's devices.

My mounts inside the container are listed below. I am not sure whether
these are effected by lxc or systemd. I have configured lxc to use its
"autodev" option.

none on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=100k)
devpts on /dev/console type devpts (rw,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
devpts on /dev/tty1 type devpts (rw,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts
(rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,mode=755)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,release_agent=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)

I have spent some time searching documentation and google but found
nothing to help me understand how this is working and what I should do.
I'd appreciate some pointers to help me get an lxc guest up and running
with systemd.

I have:

Linux hosthub 3.7.10-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Feb 28 09:50:17 CET 2013
x86_64 GNU/Linux
lxc version: 0.9.0.alpha3
systemd 197
+PAM -LIBWRAP -AUDIT -SELINUX -IMA -SYSVINIT +LIBCRYPTSETUP +GCRYPT +ACL +XZ

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
John