[systemd-devel] systemd-fsck-root.service without initrd prints ugly message on clean fsck

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Mar 13 07:17:26 PDT 2013

Am 13.03.2013 15:06, schrieb Colin Guthrie:
> 'Twas brillig, and Kay Sievers at 13/03/13 11:50 did gyre and gimble:
>> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
>>> As I'm doing some initrd-less experiments of late I'm seeing an ugly
>>> fsck message pop up on boot.
>>>
>>> In systemd-fsck-root.service I see:
>>>
>>> StandardOutput=journal+console
>>>
>>> which results in:
>>>
>>> systemd-fsck[116]: /dev/sda2: clean, 435608/1310720 files,
>>> 3375994/5242112 blocks
>>>
>>> being output over the top of plymouth screen (and actually persists over
>>> the initial gdm screen when it fades in).
>>>
>>> While I do get the point of showing this on the console, is there a way
>>> we can make it silent in the "clean" case?
>>>
>>> Would this be something we'd need push down to all the fsck
>>> implementations (i.e. support a -q argument or look for "silent" on
>>> /proc/cmdline) or can we add some kind of fugly heuristic to the
>>> systemd-fsck that silently swallows the output if it consists of a
>>> single line which has the string ": clean," and there is "silent" on the
>>> command line?
>>
>> It should be patched into the fsck tool, not to print "clean" or any
>> other messages at all, when all is fine.
>>
>> I only think the ext stuff does that nonsense; just switch to btrfs. :)
>
> One day, but I'm still paranoid for now!
>
> FWIW, the attached patch seems to work for me, but I'm not sure it'll be
> accepted upstream... The change is smaller than it looks, it just wraps
> the log output in an if statement that suppresses the message when -a is
> supplied.

so and what are you guys saying if i explain you that
i WANT THIS MESSAGES bedcause I WANT to SEE
/dev/sda2: clean, 435608/1310720 files

it would be a much more useful work to patch systemd
taht the progress of fsck is also displayed for the
rootfs as also the fs-label instead only a cryptical
UUID with no repsone until it is finished