[systemd-devel] systemctl link and systemctl enable/disable incompatibility

Oleksii Shevchuk alxchk at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 00:43:48 PDT 2013

Hi list. Currently we have next problem. systemctl have link option, and
manual says:
The effect of this command is that a unit file is available for
start and *other* commands although it isn't installed directly in the
unit search path.

So, I assume at that point, that systemctl enable/disable should work
for linked units. Unfortunately it couldn't, because install/remove
contexts called with allow_symlinks=false, so unit_file_load returns
ELOOP. Looks like this behavior couldn't be changed with simple
allow_symlinks=false->true, because of problems with disable and Alias.

So, either enable/disable logic should be refactored, or additional info
should go to the manual page, or link functionality should be dropped i
think.

What is the right way to solve that problem?