[systemd-devel] OT: Re: what to depend on to avoid file mtime discontinuities?

Britton Kerin britton.kerin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 11:11:32 PDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 8:21 AM, Cristian Rodríguez
<crrodriguez at opensuse.org> wrote:
> El 18/03/13 14:56, Britton Kerin escribió:
>>
>> My service needs reasonably continuous mtimes on files.
>

> That is the source of the problem, anything needing continuous mtimes is
> operating under a broken assumption.
>
> - You have timezone changes and leap seconds.
>
> - You have machines that either by design or by error have a broken or
> absent hardware clock (the raspberry pi for example, has no rtc)
>
> - NTP takes a while to settle down, even if you make your service to run
> after ntp, it still might correct time minutes or sometimes hours later.
>
> Im pretty sure that what your service is doing is totally wrong and you
> might want to fill a bug report to whoever wrote it and point them to
> inotify(7)

Ok, well I wrote it so its an easy bug to report.  I don't care how
many seconds since 1970, what I want is access to some sort of clock
that runs continually from some defined point on boot.  It doesn't
need to be particulary precise but must not have big discontinuities.
Is there such a beast?

Thanks,
Britton