[systemd-devel] Why do stop jobs run asynchronously on "systemctl isolate target"?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Mar 22 19:43:55 PDT 2013

On Fri, 08.03.13 14:38, Umut Tezduyar (umut at tezduyar.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have realized that return of "systemctl isolate <target>" command is only
> synchronous for "starting" jobs but not for "stopping" jobs. How can
> one

Well, it is synchronous to jobs that are ordered against the unit you
isolate, this isn't any different from any other unit ordering...

You might simply need to add an After= or Before= dependency?

Not that when a unit is started and another one is stopped and they are
ordered against each other, the one to be stopped is first stopped,
before the one to be started is started, regardless whether After= or
Before= was used. Or in other words: the difference between After= and
Before= only has an effect on the order of two jobs that are started,
or two jobs that are stopped, but not on two jobs where one is started
and the other is stopped.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.