[systemd-devel] A newbie question regarding ordering cycles

Belal, Awais Awais_Belal at mentor.com
Thu Mar 28 05:22:51 PDT 2013

Hi Guys,

Just a newbie question as I am not much familiar with systemd yet. While setting up a system I have systemd-195 running but some of the services are not launched properly. I get the following:

systemd[1]: Found ordering cycle on basic.target/start
systemd[1]: Walked on cycle path to sockets.target/start
systemd[1]: Walked on cycle path to dbus.socket/start
systemd[1]: Walked on cycle path to sysinit.target/start
systemd[1]: Walked on cycle path to run-postinsts.service/start
systemd[1]: Walked on cycle path to basic.target/start
systemd[1]: Breaking ordering cycle by deleting job dbus.socket/start
systemd[1]: Deleting job ofono.service/start as dependency of job dbus.socket/start
systemd[1]: Deleting job dbus.service/start as dependency of job dbus.socket/start
systemd[1]: Deleting job connman.service/start as dependency of job dbus.socket/start

Systemd is running in SysV compatibility mode. The odd thing here for me is once the system finishes booting I can see that dbus.service is up (through systemctl) but ofono and connman are never started although I can start them manually through systemctl.

  1.  How can such problems be disected and is there a way for knowing the dependency graph?
  2.  The ordering cycle was broken at dbus.socket/start, why aren't the other services tried out after that?

BR,
Awais