[systemd-devel] wake from sleep on systemd timer

Kai Krakow hurikhan77 at gmail.com
Mon May 6 14:00:50 PDT 2013

Hey list,

Are there any plans to enable waking the system from sleep upon some timer
events defined in systemd units? By no means it should wake up on every
timer. But it should be able to wake the system for specially labelled timer
units and after finishing them put the system back to sleep (except some
user activity has been detected).

My curiosity comes from the idea to have, for example, a backup job running
each night.

As an alternative I'd like systemd to catch up missed timers upon boot if
they are labelled with some sort of importance and have not been run since
the last successful schedule. Is that already possible? I know anachron has
such capabilities, but since systemd has cron-like capabilities I'd rather
like to completely move away from any sort of cron.

As a rough idea, maybe that could be implemented by some sort of

Type=dontmiss
Type=catchup

or similar...

Thanks,