[systemd-devel] Systemd debugging option, documentation clarification

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Thu May 16 07:36:53 PDT 2013

On 05/16/2013 01:34 PM, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> Le jeudi 16 mai 2013 à 15:10 +0200, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek a
> écrit :
>> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 10:28:54PM +0200, John Connor wrote:
>>> 1: It would be useful for debugging if systemctl had an option to show
>>> output on the screen (especially output from scripts run under
>>> systemd), rather than dumping it in a journal which you then have to
>>> search through.  This should be a command-line option, because you
>>> would normally use it only for debugging, not for a normal boot. I
>>> don't know how practicable this would be, but it would be useful.
>> This wouldn't be particularly useful because of parallelism. Output
>> from various services would be completely mixed. This wasn't a
>> problem when things were started sequentially or with just a bit
>> in parallel. You can try systemd.log_target=console.
> John was suggesting this for systemctl is called from CLI, not at
> startup. In that case, parallelism is less of an issue (and I still
> getting many complains from people wondering :"did the service started ?
> I had to run systemctl status after starting to check if it was ok").

We have had the same in Fedora and I suggested that we defaulted to
always show the status output when you started stopped restarted service
via the command line ( or only when it failed ) but as he correctly
pointed out at that time that it's a bit tricky to implement for example
preventing that fromhappening at startup since you dont want it there
and initially systemd did not even show OK ( it got introduced due to a
high demand ) since arguably it's not necessary because the bootup is to
quick for administrators to make any sense of ).

Today the Fedora userbase has gotten accustom to not having OK/Failed
shown and for last two release cycles we have not had an report
requesting this afaict.

JBG