[systemd-devel] System units packaging and rpmlint

David Strauss david at davidstrauss.net
Sun May 19 00:28:11 PDT 2013

On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 12:10 AM, Andrey Borzenkov <arvidjaar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you mean, "installing directly under /usr/lib/systemd/system/*.wants
> should be an error"? It was the actual question.

Wait, do you mean versus putting WantedBy= into the unit? That depends
on packaging policy. RPM packaging policy is to not have services
start by default, so I'd recommend using WantedBy= so systemd computes
the dependencies at the time the administrator enables the service --
if she enables it at all.

> If service A needs services B and C to
> work, they should be installed as /usr/lib/systemd/A.wants, so starting
> A also transparently starts them.

If service A *needs* B and C, then service A should use Requires= and
possibly After= for B and C, not "wants." A "want" in system still
allows the transaction to complete even with dependency failure. We
generally use "wants" for startup and shutdown targets so the system
can still boot to those stages even with a service failing.

--
David Strauss