[systemd-devel] shell / systemd config files

James Buren ryu0 at ymail.com
Mon May 20 10:28:51 PDT 2013

Files such as /etc/machine-info have an incompatibility with systemd in regards to how
it writes and/or parses them. Take the following sample:

PRETTY_HOSTNAME="\'\"\$\`\\"

Systemd will translate this to: '"$`\
However, the shells bash and dash will translate this to: \'"$`\

So, it appears to be that systemd is escaping single quotes when the shells themselves
do not honor it for single quotes here. Thoughts for a solution? I ask because I have to
write some systemd config files for a distro installer, and cannot use hostnamectl yet.