[systemd-devel] Linux kernel API

Greg KH gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Fri Nov 1 10:51:28 PDT 2013

On Fri, Nov 01, 2013 at 06:47:00PM +0100, ScotXW wrote:
> Hi,
>
> systemd is written exclusively for the Linux kernel because this
> offers advantages over the POSIX API. To illustrate the difference
> between Linux kernel API and POSIX API I created a diagram, see [1].

Linux doesn't implement all of the POSIX api in the kernel, other
portions of it are in other userspace pieces.

Linux, like all other Unix-like operating systems, also includes some
apis that are not in POSIX, which is nothing new.

> On topic: It could be used to illustrate the reasons for this decision.
> 1. Could you have a look and check whether it is correct?

It isn't.

> 2. Ideas?

What are you trying to show, and why?

> Off topic:
> Do you know more programs that are Linux kernel-only?

Lots of them are, but again, why does this matter?

greg k-h