[systemd-devel] Need advice on daemon's architecture

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Nov 3 03:53:41 PST 2013

'Twas brillig, and Peter Lemenkov at 03/11/13 06:40 did gyre and gimble:
> Hello All!
> I'm working on a system service which uses systemd intensively. Right
> now it's socket-activated, with main service of type "simple". I
> recently added support for querying and publishing some internals via
> D-Bus, so it has a D-Bus name now. Does it add anything if I change
> type of a main service to "dbus" thus allowing systemd to know for
> sure if my service is fully initialized?

If you are using systemd intensively, then you may want to use Type=notify.

With type=dbus, systemd will consider things ready when you take the
name on the bus, but this might not actually be the last thing you do to
initialise your daemon (although if this is the only interface for
clients this is not a problem!).

You still might want to use sd_notify() instead. This can also pass
through some internal performance info to systemd which will show up on
systemctl status output which is kinda nice.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie