[systemd-devel] Scheme: Linux startup process with systemd

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at inai.de
Mon Nov 4 14:55:43 PST 2013

On Monday 2013-11-04 23:48, ScotXW wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I created this [1] scheme. Can you help fill in the blank? I know there is very
> extensive documentation about systemd, it is way too extensive for my purposes,
> the home user.
>
> [1] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Linux_startup_process_wip.svg

Seems rather strange to find GRUB and Linux in "BIOS".
And if you talk about Uboot and Redboot and whatever else, then
marking the orange section as "GRUB" is sorta outta place.

It's also wrong on so many accounts.
-initramfs is not mounted, because it is not a filesystem.
-kernel does not execute /usr/bin/systemd but /init from the initramfs,
or in case none was used, /sbin/init.
-/usr/lib/systemd/system is a directory, not an executable entity
-you already have systemd, so having systemd again in "user interfaces"
is sort of inside out