[systemd-devel] Make X11 logind session unconditionally active

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Nov 5 02:15:30 PST 2013

On Tue, 05.11.13 12:37, Ivan Shapovalov (intelfx100 at gmail.com) wrote:

> > > So the question is: it is possible to mark a session as "always active"
> > > or something like that?
> >
> > Well, that should be the case implicitly if the session is properly
> > registered. What does "loginctl show-session" print for this session?
> >
> > Lennart
> >

> Yes, I had the session bound to seat0.
> Configuring lightdm to use an empty seat made the session Active=yes.
>
> $ loginctl show-session c37
> Id=c37
> Timestamp=Вт 2013-11-05 12:22:13 MSK
> TimestampMonotonic=59464298414
> VTNr=0
> Display=localhost:10
> Remote=no
> Service=lightdm
> Scope=session-c37.scope
> Leader=25926
> Audit=0
> Type=x11
> Class=user
> Active=yes
> State=active
> IdleHint=no
> IdleSinceHint=0
> IdleSinceHintMonotonic=0
> Name=intelfx
>
> However, this still isn't exactly what I want. Now the session has no seat, so
> 1. udisks does not allow me to mount removables without authentication;
> 2. I suppose the dynamic device node permission stuff won't work for me either.
>
> So I want that session to be equivalent to a local one in terms of permissions etc...
> Is it somehow possible?

So you want something like a "hybrid" session, i.e. one that is virtual
but has access to local devices? That's a special setup that is not
supported by logind itself. However note that you can express any
policies you like with polkit, hence you can configure it to grant
access to the devices to your user even if he is not logged into a
physical session. But that's something you have to do unrelated to
logind.