[systemd-devel] Make X11 logind session unconditionally active

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Nov 5 02:33:31 PST 2013

On Tue, 05.11.13 14:24, Ivan Shapovalov (intelfx100 at gmail.com) wrote:

> > So you want something like a "hybrid" session, i.e. one that is virtual
> > but has access to local devices? That's a special setup that is not
> > supported by logind itself. However note that you can express any
> > policies you like with polkit, hence you can configure it to grant
> > access to the devices to your user even if he is not logged into a
> > physical session. But that's something you have to do unrelated to
> > logind.
> >
> > Lennart
> >

> Yes, I want something like that...
> Is it not supported _yet_ or _by design_? I suspect it is a valuable thing to
> have.

By design I guess. The automatic stuff is for the common case. I doubt
that such a "hybrid" session is really such a common case, especially
since it creates a ton of problems when you mix it with normal physical
sessions on seat0.

> Sure, I can try to configure polkit, but will that grant me permissions on
> device nodes (e. g. printers)?

Printers are a system resource, they are not reassigned to user
sessions, they are expected to be written to only by system services
like CUPS.