[systemd-devel] systemd and automount

John Davis davisjf at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 09:19:48 PST 2013

Hello

I am trying to use systemd on archlinux to mount a file system on demand.
 Here is what Ihave done and here are my results.

Creating a ramdisk image.

# dd if=/dev/zero of=testyfs.raw bs=4096 count=1000
# mkfs.ext4 -F testyfs.raw

Making a mount point in /mnt

# mkdir /mnt/testyfs

Adding an etnry /etc/fstab with automount systemd params.

# cat /etc/fstab | grep testyfs
/root/testyfs.raw      /mnt/testyfs     ext4
rw,relatime,data=ordered,noauto,x-systemd.automount 0 2

Trying to get systemd to see the new change

# ls /run/systemd/generator | grep testy
<nothing>

# systemctl daemon-reload
# systemctl restart mnt-testyfs
Failed to issue method call: Unit mnt-testyfs.service failed to load: No
such file or directory.
[root at t61p generator]#
# ls /run/systemd/generator | grep testy
mnt-testyfs.automount
mnt-testyfs.mount
# mount | grep testyfs
<nothing>

So far this looks good
# ls /mnt/testyfs/
<nothing, hmm, I thought it would automount the file system since I was
referring to the directory?>

Reboot to see if mounts the file system

After reboot, ls /mnt/testyfs
# ls /mnt/testyfs
lost+found

Yes, its mounted,  but was it mounted at boot or because I requested it?
Based upon the time in journalctl it looks like it was mounted on boot.

I'm confused.  I thought the systemd automount capability was supposed to
mount on demand.  It appears it does not mount on demand but instead mounts
on boot.  Have I reconfigured something or do I misunderstand what
automount means?

--
John F. Davis
6 Kandes Court