[systemd-devel] systemd-networkd questions

Holger Winkelmann [TP] hw at travelping.com
Tue Nov 12 14:27:10 PST 2013

Hi Dan,

----- Original Message -----
> Hi,
>
> Having watched the discussion over the past week or so, I'm left with a
> few questions:
>
> 1) what is lacking in other userspace solutions (NetworkManager,
> ConnMan, wicked, initscripts, etc) that requires
> yet-another-network-daemon?
>
> 2) do you expect that systemd-networkd will grow to include bridge,
> bond, and team setup?  how about other "enterprise"/"server" interface
> types like macvlan/vtap, tun/tap, gre, vxlan, ovs, etc?  All these are
> enterprise things that typically won't change during a specific bootup,
> but which static "servers" increasingly use.  If you don't expect these
> to be supported, why not?
>
> 3) Is there expected to be D-Bus interfaces for controlling or
> monitoring the network interfaces and configuration data?  If not, why
> not?

We asked our self the same questions, and alternatives exists even from
the embedded camp [1] which often comes close to the server use case.
Even if [1] does not have a Dbus interface, they at least share the same
Idea of a RPC interface (Ubus) and have the building blocks for handling more
complex interface setups like bridging, bonding, VLAN etc.

We have worked with guys a lot but building a bridge between the embedded
folks and the dbus camp is not so easy if it comes to small routers...

But for my own records, what is so bad on the existing approach in [1]?
anybody checked it while considering to develop systemd-networkd?

[1] http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/techref/netifd

best regards,
Holger

> Thanks,
> Dan

Holger Winkelmann
Managing Director

email: hw at travelping.com
phone: +49-391-819099-223
mobil: +49-171-5594745
http://www.linkedin.com/in/hwinkel

Travelping GmbH               phone:           +49-391-8190990
Roentgenstr. 13               fax:           +49-391-819099299
D-39108 Magdeburg             email:       info at travelping.com
GERMANY                       web:   http://www.travelping.com

Company Registration: Amtsgericht Stendal Reg No.:   HRB 10578
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Holger Winkelmann | VAT ID No.: DE236673780