[systemd-devel] Need help with a systemd/mdadm interaction.

Dax Kelson dkelson at gurulabs.com
Wed Nov 13 09:27:37 PST 2013

On Nov 13, 2013 8:03 AM, "Lennart Poettering" <lennart at poettering.net>
wrote:

> I also have the suspicion that the best strategy for handling degraded
> arrays is to timeout and not assemble them but rather put the system in
> a state where the admin has to become active. Auto-assembling degraded
> arrays has the feel of taping over issues. If the admin chooses to
> boot-up with degraded disks then that's ok, but I am pretty sure this is
> something the admin should explicitly decide.

As an experienced admin, I disagree with this. If I've gone to the effort
to setup a RAID volume obviously I value high availability. The box should
boot without manual intervention even with a degraded RAID volume. With
above proposal, the box automatically continue to will run properly with a
degraded RAID volume (like normal) but won't reboot properly?
Rebooting/booting is a normal part of operating.

Also. There are many scenarios where a box can reboot on its own (kernel
panic, power failure, etc). It should come back automatically if it can.
I'd be livid if it didn't.

Make it an option if you insist, but have it default to booting without
manual intervention if possible.

Dax Kelson