[systemd-devel] Thread level resource management

Umut Tezduyar Lindskog umut.tezduyar at axis.com
Mon Nov 25 08:28:37 PST 2013

Hi,

On Nov 24, 2013, at 4:39 PM, Kay Sievers <kay at vrfy.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 12:33 PM, Umut Tezduyar Lindskog
> <umut.tezduyar at axis.com> wrote:
>> How do we support thread level resource management with the new cgroup abstraction?
How do we do it in the process level then. Lets say a service has 5 processes under and 1 of them needs to be in a different slice. Any example?

>> Can we use scopes with task ids of threads? If so, what is the API to put the task id into its own scope unit?
>
> There is no plan at the moment to support thread-granular resource
> settings. The feature is expected to be removed from the kernel too,
> when we switch to the unified cgroup hierarchy.
Any plans to support existing applications that are making use of thread level resource management? If not, what are we left with then, posix thread priorities?
Is there an announcement of dropping thread level resource management support from kernel somewhere?

> Kay

Thanks,
Umut