[systemd-devel] udev firmware loading

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 01:31:15 PST 2013

Hi all,

I've been porting a lot of the gnome-packagekit functionality to
gnome-software these last few months. One thing that used to work
well, but I've not seen a bugreport about in *years* is the
install-package-for-missing-firmware thing.

IIRC, udev used to call /lib/udev/firmware.sh which used to create a
file in /var/run/PackageKit/udev with the missing firmware file name.
I can't see any reference to this in udev-builtin-firmware and
wondered if this was removed deliberately.

If installing-a-package-for-missing-firmware is something you don't
want to support any more, that's fine, just let me know and I can
delete a ton of code in PackageKit and gnome-packagekit. It was a
little-used feature, but a nice bit of polish that made more hardware
work out-of-the-box.

The "always install all firmware files, they are tiny" argument works
for me as well, so don't be afraid of using that defence. :)

Richard.