[systemd-devel] udev firmware loading

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Wed Nov 27 03:47:25 PST 2013

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been porting a lot of the gnome-packagekit functionality to
> gnome-software these last few months. One thing that used to work
> well, but I've not seen a bugreport about in *years* is the
> install-package-for-missing-firmware thing.
>
> IIRC, udev used to call /lib/udev/firmware.sh which used to create a
> file in /var/run/PackageKit/udev with the missing firmware file name.
> I can't see any reference to this in udev-builtin-firmware and
> wondered if this was removed deliberately.

It was /run/udev/firmware-missing/*, udev cannot access /var.

All of that is gone and will not come back, udev has no idea about
device firmware and does no longer want to know about it. There is no
way to tell these days what firmware was requested or loaded, it's all
happening in the kernel only.

Unless we want to invent a mechanism to queue up/log that information
in the kernel and communicate that to userspace, you can just delete
all the code that handles this in userspace.

Kay