[systemd-devel] udev firmware loading

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Wed Nov 27 08:13:59 PST 2013

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 5:04 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-11-27 at 13:11 +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:
>
>> It would need a MESSSAGE_ID= and a few key/value pairs with the file
>> name, the driver name and such to send out. The journal could get a
>> service activation feature by message id ...
>
> Where does that stand, btw ? Hasn't activate-by-message-id been on the
> roadmap for a while ? That would let us do some neat things and make the
> journal much more useful.

There are no news or anything I know of which would be in progress.
Something just needs to start doing/using that, I guess.

In general, there is a lot of interest in that area from groups
working on logging, and enterprise storage.

Also IBM mainframe people, who are for historic reasons pretty well
organized and a lot less chaotic in that area than the Linux average;
they wanted to look into it with their logging and error handling.

It's just as always I guess: someone rally interested in that facility
needs to start working on it. :) The infrastructure in the kernel and
userspace is all in place, there is not much missing.

Kay