[systemd-devel] Hard-coded /bin/mount in systemd

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Nov 27 11:45:45 PST 2013

On Wed, 27.11.13 14:31, Hannes Reinecke (hare at suse.de) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> for some reason systemd has /bin/mount hardcoded in
> src/core/mount.c:mount_enter_mounting()
>
> Which is a bit odd, seeing that everyting moved to /usr/bin.
> So we always have to do a symlink here, which really is a bit annoying.
>
> Is this by design or a simple left-over?

Well, /bin/mount is kinda API of Linux, you cannot just change that. All
systems must provide that, the same way as /bin/sh, reagrdless whether
/ and /usr is merged or not. There's really not much point in making this
configurable, we don't really want to support systems which move things
wildly around into the strangest places.