[systemd-devel] Thread level resource management

David Timothy Strauss david at davidstrauss.net
Thu Nov 28 23:51:55 PST 2013

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 1:58 AM, Umut Tezduyar Lindskog
<umut.tezduyar at axis.com> wrote:
> Can someone explain the process level management?

Right now, it's possible to do directly in the cgroups file system,
but we're eventually moving away from anything manipulating that but
systemd. I think that there will still be a way to move around
processes via systemd, but it's speculation at this point.

Your best best, overall, is to break up the program into separate
*services*. This is hardly a neutral answer, given that you're asking
on the systemd mailing list. Of course some of us here will advise you
to break it up into services; systemd is a service-management tool.
:-)

Using services will allow you to easily configure resources in a way
that will continue working through 2014 and beyond as systemd and the
kernel update. Even with separate services, you can still use
multithreaded-style (shared memory) techniques by mmapping the same
paths with MAP_SHARED. There are a bunch of other, standard IPC
mechanisms, too [1]. It's generally best to decouple the program into
services that communicate at a high level.

[1] http://www.tldp.org/LDP/lpg/node7.html