[systemd-devel] Patches to use -.mount without /etc/fstab

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Oct 1 06:37:57 PDT 2013

Am 24.09.2013 21:53, schrieb Kelly Anderson:
> If I'm not mistaken, the intent way back in the early stages of systemd was to
> eliminate /etc/fstab and use .mount files exclusively.  Since it was never
> fully implemented I took the prerogative to make it work on my systems.
> I've been using the setup for quite some time and it works without problem.

As Lennart said, it doesn't seem to be a goal. However, you can make a
system work without just fine without fstab (I run such a system).

> 1. if /etc/fstab is missing, systemd must remount / based on the options
> in /etc/systemd/system/-.mount.

Why does / need to be remounted? Simply mount / with the correct options
from initrd.

If you don't need initrd, a simple oneshot service with
 ExecStart=mount -o remount,rw /
should suffice, or, as Lennart said, a reload of the -.mount unit.

> 2.  If /etc/fstab is missing, systemd must create a valid fstab (in this case
> /run/fstab) so that fsck runs properly.

fsck prints a warning if fstab is missing. It's annoying, so I created
an empty /etc/fstab on my system.