[systemd-devel] Really simple polkit authorisation GUI

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Oct 2 13:20:17 PDT 2013

Hi,

I've googled around a bit here, but figured asking the bright minds here
might be a good call. I know it's a bit OT, so feel free to ignore :)

I'm trying to switch more of our stuff to polkit from usermode
consolehelper (I think fedora did similar a while back) and have had
only one problem so far where a user complained that "minimal" desktops
don't include any authorisation agents and thus trying to launch some
programs just fails and doesn't provide any feedback to users.

IceWM, LXDE and RazorQT are affected, (although I see an lxpolkit
package which is perhaps not installed by default and may solve it there...)

Anyway, can I ask how others deal with this problem generally? Is there
some kind of super ugly fallback polkit UI that can be started via e.g.
dbus activation or xinit.d dropin (with whitelist for "real" desktops)?

Cheers for any feedback.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie